Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Who's the BOSS?

Today I took another small step forward in the laborious process of filling out the online application for my NHS bursary (BOSS). It has seemed to take ages to get to the point where I've left it, but I couldn't quite finish it for the sake of my sanity. I'm now upto the point where I need to send in evidence from my last 4 years of employment. This obviously isn't easy for someone as disorganised as I am. No matter how much I've looked I can't find my most recent P60's. Well, after a long call with HMRC they've agreed to send out statements so that I can forward them to the NHS Busary team.

I also have to provide details of my Fiancee's income (as the grant is means tested). She's a fully qualified Radiographer so needless to say our finances are already tight. Despite the fact that we don't have any savings and pretty much live hand to mouth, I'm pretty sure we won't be entitled to much. Don't you just love the government, on the one hand they help by paying tuition fees, but on the other hand everything else is so expensive that it is very difficult to make the commitment to further study when you have the responsibilities of a 'normal life'. I'm sure we'll get through it, as well as saving for a wedding, but there'll be many who don't and fall by the wayside, having to give up on their dreams.

What are your experiences of the busary/grant system - good or bad?

Today's shower song: Michael Jackson - Billy Jean

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of applying to UOC for 2013 entry and I've had a look at the bursary system to see if I would be entitled to anything. Although I haven't yet had to fill anything in, it all seemed overly complicated.

    I was really pleased to find out that you could still work at evenings and weekends and that any earnings were disregarded, but then I found out that you can't work on a self-employed basis (I'm self-employed), which seems a little unfair, and may well put a stop to me applying.

    Anyway, best of luck with your bursary and the course. I look forward to reading how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!
      That just seems a really bad decision on the part of the government to ultimately dissuade people like yourself from applying. After all, you put as much into the system as everyone else. I hope you find a way to get around this or fund your studies in another way.
      I won't be working outside of my studies as I know the work load of the course is going to be testing enough for me.

      Delete